Monday, April 12, 2010

Results of The Cantabrian Reversal

Well, today is Tuesday, and as such marks the end of my two-week moratorium of meaty products. No doubt you are wondering how exactly I got on, much less wondering how I actually survived the two weeks without meat.

In truth, there was no real drastic change in my body and health. Of course, two weeks is too short a time span in terms of effecting any real, noticeable changes. However, I did notice a few subtle things happening here and there, of which I will share with you. These were, to be honest, quite unexpected...but very welcome.

Lack of Halitosis - This was one of the changes I did actually expect, and my expectations were met in spades. For those of you who have never encountered the word, 'Halitosis' is a medical reference to bad breath, particularly if it is chronic. In my case, though I do not have medical halitosis, I have to be blunt: For two weeks, it was brilliant not having breath that smelled like a rotting carcass! Or a bitter, carcass aftertaste for that matter. Over these past two weeks, my breath has been notably improved.

Lack of Gluginess of the Bloodstream - This one needs explanation. Prior to my not having meat for two weeks, one of my main meals that would be consumed between grocery shops would be good ol' hearty nachos (with mince as the main meat). However, in cooking up the mince, it would not be uncommon for me to drain a sizable quantity of fat from the mince (and not the good kind of fat either). I would, of course, have no guarantee that all fat would be drained from the meat. As good as the nachos were, it would - after ingestion - leave me with a feeling of "gluginess"; of feeling that my energy levels were falling, and lethargy were increasing. Since I have not had any of this stuff in my body, I have as a consequence had a lot less glugier bloodstream, which means less clog in the arteries, which means better blood flow, which means better health. Oh, and no lethargic feelings either!
As a final result here, nachos are off the menu for me.

More Energy Overall - I have found that in any given day, I have had an increase in energy to get me through the day. As such, I can do more in a day than I would otherwise have been able to.

As a side issue, when I shared my decision to cut meat out for two weeks, I was retorted with the question of where I would get my Protein intake from. The answer is simple: Eggs. Eggs provide your body with protein volumes that are unrivalled when compared to supermarket-bought and/or factory farmed meats. And the darker the egg yolk, the greater health punch your body receives (and protein is not the only thing you get from eggs; eggs contain a whole smattering of vitamins and minerals that are too many to list here. But needless to say, eggs are prime to add to your diet, barring allergies of course).

As tonight is grocery night, I ask the question to myself: What will I buy in the way of meat products, if any? And of course, what impact will all this have on our average menu in the home? I guess, after tonight, I will find out. But for now, time to log off and write a shopping list.

No comments:

Post a Comment